Sunday, May 20, 2012

Enhancing and Protecting a Rusted Metal Patina

I love using metals with rusted patinas in my jewelry designs.
If I can't find rusted metal, I'll create my own.

A steel washer that I rusted, stamped and hammered is the focal piece in this necklace that I designed for an ICE Resin® Technique Tuesday Video that recently aired on the ICE Resin blog.

In the video I share with you how to enhance the color of a rusted piece of metal and how to protect the finish




Rusty washers also make interesting connector pieces. I used them in this same necklace to attach the leather neckband to the copper chain.


I finished the chain with a handmade copper hook and eye clasp. You can learn how to make your own hook and eye clasp from my tutorial.


My necklace made from rusty washers, a rusty piece of metal measuring tape, and a couple of rusty nails may not be for everyone but it suits me perfectly and it certainly is unique!


 

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous necklace! I love the idea of using resin to preserve a finish. I want to try this with some copper pieces at some point -- it'll protect my allergic skin, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all of your beautiful ideas and for sharing your knowledge with us. I wanted to honor you with a Liebster Award. Please check http://capriciousbutterfly.blogspot.com/2012/05/oh-my-award.html for more details, and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Have a great day!
Kathy